-Mexican Mango Cake
Suggested Wine Pairing: Ceja Dulce Beso Late Harvest Dessert Wine
- 1 1/2 cups or 3 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 6 large eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons of orange zest
For Mango Salsa
- 2 1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen and thawed mango
- 2 tablespoons water, plus extra, as needed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons tequila, optional
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
Position a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 10-inch Bundt pan. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. In another large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat 1 /12 cups of butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in eggs and continue beating. Then add in orange zest, the flour mixture and buttermilk and blend well.
Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake until cake is golden in color (45 to 50 minutes). Insert a cake tester into the center and ensure it comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a wire rack and cool completely in the pan. Invert the cake onto the wire rack and then put it on a cake plate or platter.
For Mango Salsa
In a blend or food processor, combine the mango, water, lime juice, sugar, cream cheese and tequila. Blend until smooth and thick adding extra water if needed. Taste and adjust the sweetness to your liking.
Spoon the mango salsa evenly over the top of the cake and decorate with flowers. Enjoy with a chilled glass of Ceja Dulce Beso.