Dalia Ceja spices up a traditional potato salad with chipotle chiles and longaniza. Suggested Wine Pairing: Ceja Vineyards Carneros Chardonnay
Spicy Chipotle Potato Salad
Serves 6-8 people
• 1 cup sour cream
• 1/2 cup plain yogurt (no mayonnaise)
• 15 small red potatoes (cut into 1-inch cubes after boiled)
• ½ cup of cooked longaniza
• 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
• 2 canned chipotle chiles and extra juice
• 1 red onions chopped
• 2 tablespoons of white vinegar
• 1 jalapeño pepper
• 3 long sticks of celery
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 5 hard-boiled eggs, cut into cubes
• Chives as a garnish
1. Fill a pot with water, add salt and potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook potatoes until tender for about 15 minutes. Drain and cool.
2. Boil eggs for 5-7 minutes. Drain and let cool. Once cool, cube eggs and remove half of the yolk then set aside.
3. In a sauté pan, cut the longaniza link until it's nice and crumbled. Cook until tender yet crispy on the edges. Once it's done cooking, place longaniza on top of paper napkins and set aside.
4. Finely chop onion, chipotle chiles, jalapenos, celery, and place into separate bowls.
5. In a large mixing bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, red onions, chorizo, jalapeños and ground pepper & salt. Mix ingredients until they are fully incorporated.
6. Add the potatoes and the eggs into the mixture. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
7. Enjoy with a glass of Ceja Chardonnay!