Tacos de Camarones con Salsa de Mango (Shrimp Tacos with Mango Salsa)
- For Shrimp
- 2 lbs peeled shrimp (16-20/pound)
- 6 large shallots thinly sliced crosswise
- 12 large garlic cloves thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tbsps unsalted butter
- 6 tbsps olive oil
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (or more if you like heat)
- 1/2 tsp each black pepper and salt
- juice of one lime
- corn or flour tortillas
- For Mango Salsa
- 2 ripe firm mangoes (peeled, pitted and diced)
- 1 peeled red onion, diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers (seeded and diced)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- juice of one lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- For Creamy Sauce
- 1/2 cup crème fraiche, crema Mexicana or sour cream
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (whole milk, unflavored)
- 1 minced garlic
- 1/4 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (optional)
- pinch of salt
Rinse shrimp in cold water. Pat dry with paper towels and cut in half lengthwise and place in a glass bowl. Add sliced shallots, sliced garlic, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Mix well to coat shrimp completely. Add 4 tablespoons of olive oil and mix well again. Cover and set aside.
For Mango Salsa
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, cover and place it in the fridge.
For Creamy Sauce
Blend all the ingredients in a food processor until your desired consistency.
Heat 2 tablespoons each of butter and olive oil in a large non-stick pan or skillet over medium high heat. Add the shrimp mixture to the hot pan and sauté until shrimp turns pink (about 5-8 minutes).Taste for desired doneness. Squeeze lime juice and stir – taste and adjust salt.
Warm the tortillas. Add enough cooked shrimp mixture to each tortilla. Top with the mango salsa and drizzle the creamy sauce over everything.
Substitute slices of firm ripe avocado for the shrimp and add the mango salsa and creamy sauce – it’s just as delicious and satisfying and it’s great with the recommended Ceja wines too.